Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HELP! Eye problems...UPDATE!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I just received a Brunette Bitty from ebay. The auction stated that one of her eyes didn't open and close correctly, I understood that meant that they stuck in one position or the other... a couple of DD's dolls do that, and she just gives them a little nudge and there fine.

    Well I got Bitty today, and her one of her eyes is actually pushed in causing it not to work correctly. If you pull out on the eyelashes she fine, but once you move her, her eye kind of falls back about 1/8 inch causing the malfunction.

    I took her head off to see the back side, but they are enclosed in a vinyl "socket". Has anyone ever worked on Bitty's eyes? She was $20. including shipping, so I don't want to send her for a new head. Otherwise, she's perfect. I don't know what to do! [img]frown.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 16, 2005 07:26 PM: Message edited by: americangirlsrus ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like one of the eye wires is out a bit. I would clip the plastic casing on the inside and investigate- or perhaps you can find a local doll hospital to do the eye surgery for you. I have a bitty with a pushed in eye but it does not bug me too much.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member acorniv's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Before you cut into her, try this:

    Remove her head and get out a blow dryer. Heat the inside of the head for a few minutes and then swqueeze her head at the temples, the way aunties who wear too much perfume do small children. Her eye can pop out if you do this. I have not yet taken one all the way out ( trying to get the nerve up) but it softens the vinyl just enough to do so. You might be able to reposition the eye without removing it.

    I should thing this is how they get the eyes in to begin with - by heating the vinyl.

    Let us know what works

    Popsie

  4. #4
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried cutting the vinyl socket yet. I did try the hair dryer, but the hole into the head is small, I don't think the heat is getting to where is should be!

    From what I can see looking through the sides, it looks like a plastic rods on each side of her eye. I don't know what doll eyes look like outside of the head, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like.

    I suppose I should just accept this as a loss, but not that she's here, I feel like I have to get her in order.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry to keep bringing this back up, but you guys are the only ones who really understand the emotions attached to dolls! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I was very unhappy this morning feeling like I got taken on an auction, so I decided to email the seller to tell her (nicely of course) about the problem not being a "lazy" eye, but actually a broken mechanism where the eye was attached.

    She was very, very nice, and refunded most of my money to put toward sending the doll to the doll hospital! Wow! I was so impressed! So what started out as a bad day, has turned into a very good day by the seller's kindness and understanding. She actually did more than I would have asked for.

    Three cheers for nice sellers!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member schallerwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2004
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How excellent! Thanks for the update. It's nice to here positive Ebay stories.

    Nann

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •